Thursday 9 May 2013

Best dressed at the Met Ball

Last Monday evening saw the Met Gala ball take place in NYC which showcased its new exhibition on the Punk movement titled Punk: Chaos to Couture. When I heard about this I was pretty interested to see who out of the A list guys would play it safe and who would be bold and play with the Punk theme. My preference would be to go with standard black tie elegance with a perhaps a nod to the iconic fashion era. Anyway sartorial salutes start with Nicholas Hoult in a suave blue Tom Ford separate shawl tux jacket. Might be said its easy when your pal is Sir Tom but for a young bloke he dresses with such classic style. Though while we're on the subject of the Tom Ford wearing A-list, I wasn't too keen on Tom Brady's ensemble. Firstly where Hoult's cobalt Blue jacket ticked the box, Toms bright blue didn't. Secondly the matching waistcoat and buttoning the DJ had me shaking my head.

The winner for using the punk theme and doing it right was my favourite bearded sartorialist Alasdair Willis. Dressed in a bespoke Henry Rose leopard print DJ with matching print Creepers! Also well played Kanye who kept it clean cut in Givenchy while Kim.. Ummm anyway another slick Ricardo Tisci dressed fella was Chris Brown wearing a cool Red Jacket with the black button up. Only criticism being would've liked those trousers to have been a bit sharper to show off those velvet slippers.

My favourite look of the night came from Tobey Maquire in Saint Laurent. Great fit, perfect proportions and that little bit of stubble to give him that manly rough edge against the chic French tailoring.

Other Nods go to Eddie Redmayne in Dior Homme with a cheeky McQueen hanky, Frank Ocean in Givenchy And Pharrell in a gingham Lanvin tux. Another Brit who had the right drop of punk in his outfit was Damian Lewis wearing Prada who had a pair of studded lace ups on. I also really liked Gavin Rossdale's punk tartan suit. One thing I didn't like was Jason Sudekis's Met Ball effort. Regardless whether you wanna be seen making an effort or for that matter care, I totally believe that all Hollywood A-list should make the effort to look their best at these events. The sin of all sins was Jason wearing a pair of Jordan's! I actually would've forgiven him a little if they were a nice shape out of all the Jordan editions he could of chosen! No Actually I wouldn't regardless! Not cool and definitely not punk. Jason if you need me for your next red carpet give me a shout.





























No comments: